Picadilly

03 April 2014

Say ‘YES’ to the dress!

Wedding dress shopping. It is possibly one of the most magical shopping experiences of a girl’s life – that and her husband buying her a pair of shoes after 24 hours of marriage.

My mom and I went to a bridal shop, I selected five dresses I wanted to fit – one which was the biggest and puffiest dress in the shop. You must. You have to choose that one dress that will leave you giggling – and the bell-dress! Fit a bell-dress and swing your hips, all brides do it.

Picture: The bell-dress.

I remember walking past the mirror – all dressed in white – that’s when it hit me. I was going to be a bride, I was going to marry the man of my dreams. It was remarkable walking out of the dressing room – my mom’s eyes filled with tears (as she got the camera ready to snap some pictures), strangers gasped and told me how spectacular I look, and the shop assistant took my hand and put me on a pedestal (literally). There I stood, all pretty in white, all the markings of a bride-to-be, caught up in the magic.


 By the third dress, I was over it. I could suddenly understand why brides didn’t eat on their wedding day. It wasn’t because of nerves, it was because you can hardly breath – let alone eat! One slice of cucumber and the water retention would have you popping out in all directions. Caught up in the magic, I tried on one last dress…

It was the shop assistant’s pick, by the way.



It was during this moment that I realised I didn’t want an Oprah-dress. To clarify with all the dramas of an Oprah show; “You’ve worn that dress and you can wear the dress! You wear the dress – you all can wear the same dress!”

I wanted MY dress that had MY personality written all over it! I wanted something different. And something different I got. 

Bless my dress-maker, she added layers, a bow and small touches to make it ‘wedding-dressy’, but never before and never again will anyone have a dress like mine. 

I said "YES" to a dress that was me and no one else...





2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your dress! It's unique and beautiful But it did take me a bit by surprise as was expecting to see you all in pink xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Boz. Your turn next! xxx

    ReplyDelete

About the scribbler

My Photo
I have a degree in Public Relations and worked in corporate communication for six years. Life changed, or perhaps it was a moment of insanity (when I am still up at 1am on a school night, I often think it’s the latter). I started studying again. I am studying for my degree in Psychological Counselling and now work in employee wellness. In 140 characters; “I’m an optimist, over-opinionated, gym (occasionally), love reading and music, don’t like chick-flicks, have an amazing bf and two kittens.”
There was an error in this gadget

Followers